Wednesday 2 April 2008

Wide Awake!!

This is my first post, so I am not expecting anyone to read this one. It is 3 am and I am still wide awake. My sleep pattern has much to be desired at the moment, but I am getting anxious as I am a key speaker tomorrow for the NHS,I will be talking about living with a long term condition.
I love to do these talks as it makes people realise that you can still live a life with an illness, it just means that you have to adapt your life. Even though I am on oxygen 24/7, I still wake up every morning and thank god for another day...and I live each day as if it was my last!

I am a lot luckier than some, I have a wonderful partner and we are in the process of selling our houses and buying a bungalow between us...so I am very excited about this, I have 3 children and 5 grandchildren all of whom I love deeply. My partner has a lovely family whom I am also very close to. So really you could say that I am blessed! But the one thing that I really need is a nice new pair of lungs!

On February the 4th I was assessed for a lung transplant, I went in on a cancellation, so I have had to return a few times for tests as they was not booked up for me on my assessment. I have just got to have my angiogram which is on the 15th of this month and then I will see the transplant team again. If all the tests are ok and I am suitable for transplant then they have told me I will go straight on the list. I only have 14% lung capacity now so I am really struggling. But even though I sometimes feel really sad, I realise I am a lot better than some. I can still smile and I feel quite humbled by the people that I have met or spoken to since having this disease, so I feel very lucky compared to some!

I hope this first post has not sent you to sleep, and I will put another post on here soon. I am now going to turn off my light and see if I can finally get some sleep! Night night everyone! x x

No comments: